What Motivates Employees Today?
Anyone who has worked a day in their life understands a thing or two about what motivates them to do a better job. While people do work for their salaries, studies have proven that what motivates top performance from a workforce has little to do with cash compensation and other tangible rewards.
This spring Badgeville partnered with employee motivation research firm Make Their Day to survey over 1,200 workers in finding out what makes employees do their best work. The study found that employees most value Recognition, Opportunities for Growth, and a Fun Work Environment to keep them happy, engaged, and productive. Gamification for business offers a scalable solution for contemporary companies seeking to create positive work environments.
No-Dollar Rewards and Recognition Are the Most Valuable Motivators
- “Free” recognition and virtual rewards have become increasingly important in today’s workforce over tangible, high-cost rewards.
- 83% of employees said recognition for contributions is more fulfilling than any rewards and gifts.
- 71% said the most meaningful recognition they have received had no dollar value.
The Type of Praise and Source Matters
- 69% said that being recognized as an individual over a team was more motivating.
- 76% found praise from their peers to be very or extremely motivating.
- 88% found praise from their managers to be very or extremely motivating.
- Only 14% said their best recognition or reward was of a gift over $1,000.
Keep Employees Happy with a Fun Work Environment
- 90% of respondents said that a fun work environment is very or extremely motivating.
- A fun work environment was ranked higher than other factors such as job titles, cash equivalents, and gifts, in regards to what motivates employees.